Sunday, January 1, 2017

New Year, New Goals

Photo by Brigitte Tohm

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

New year, new goals, and you know how much I love goals! When I was studying abroad, I remember feeling like the last month was crunch time. My friends and I did more, saw more, laughed more, and stayed out wayyyyy later than the rest of the trip because we had to use every last moment. I'm starting to feel that again now, despite having a year and a half left on my contract. While I don't need to be out and social every minute (I would probably die), I do want to be more conscious of how I spend my time! So here are my goals for the year. I'm hoping to keep myself a little bit accountable through more posts (and am putting that in writing so that I actually do!). 

Do more of the things I love.

I love to do so many things, but sometimes find that after a day at work, I look on Pinterest for new teaching ideas, or veg out on my couch with Netflix. This year I'd like to do more of what I love: traveling, crafting, reading, playing guitar, baking, and writing. I'd like to stop killing all of my plants and really learn to grow herbs, become a better photographer, experiment with new recipes, and learn to love yoga and running. 

Be a better Italian.

I need something to show for my living abroad all these years. This year, I'm making a serious commitment to my language skills by continuing with my classes. I'm also working on a couple other ways to practice, which I will share soon! I'd also like to continue learning to cook like an Italian!

Maintain a ready-for-guests apartment at all times.

My parents' house is perfect at all times- someone could walk in at any moment and it would look beautiful. I try, but leave out clothes if I'm running late, don't always make my bed, and don't always have a bottle of wine or snacks ready to share. I want to be able to say, on any day, "Let's stop at my apartment before dinner," or something of that nature and not feel the need to panic. 

No more takeout!

I'm the takeout queen and order WAY to often! It's so easy- I don't know about the rest of the world, but in Milan I use Foodora, JustEat, and Deliveroo at least once a week (typically more often, though). It's not even like I'm trying new things- it's always the same type of pizza, the same gyro, the same sushi order... I'm going to make it my mission to avoid takeout by cooking for myself, or actually going out to the restaurants and being around other people if I want to eat out. Hopefully this will help me to be more social, learn to cook, save money, see more of the city, etc. 

Be open to new things.

I'm a hardcore homebody, so I'll let you know as my "open to new things" idea progresses. 

So, there you go. These are my aspirations for 2017. As sad as I'll be to leave home and head back to my other home, having these to feel excited about give me a lot to look forward to! What are your resolutions? Do you have any advice for me as I work towards my different goals? Leave your ideas in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment